Workforce Overview:

(a) The workforce in India stands at approximately 400 million individuals.

– Around 70% of this workforce is situated in rural areas, constituting three-fourths of the total 400 million. The remaining 30% is in urban areas.

– Men constitute the majority, comprising about 70% of the overall workforce, while women make up the remaining 30%.

– Women workers represent one-third of the rural workforce, whereas in urban areas, they account for just one-fifth.

Analysis of the Data:

(a) The majority of the workforce is rural-based. Despite two-thirds of the workforce being in rural India, their contribution to GDP is minimal, reflecting low productivity. This low productivity translates to lower incomes and increased poverty.

(b) The percentage of women workers is generally low, particularly in urban areas. In rural regions, women often engage in low-paid, less productive jobs due to economic constraints. However, in urban settings, uneducated women find it challenging to secure reasonably productive employment. Urban areas often restrict women from undertaking low-paid jobs, contributing to the lower percentage of women workers compared to rural areas.

(c) The low employment rate among women is indicative of the economic backwardness of the country.

Objective Type Questions

1. What is the total size of the workforce in India, according to the provided information?

a) 200 million

b) 300 million

c) 400 million

d) 500 million
Answer: c) 400 million

2. What percentage of the Indian workforce is located in rural areas?

a) 50%

b) 60%

c) 70%

d) 80%
Answer: c) 70%

3.In urban areas, what proportion of the workforce consists of women, as per the data?

a) One-third

b) One-fourth

c) One-fifth

d) One-sixth
Answer: c) One-fifth

4. Why is the contribution of the rural workforce to GDP considered minimal, despite their significant numbers?

a) Lack of skills

b) Low productivity

c) Insufficient resources

d) Limited opportunities
Answer: b) Low productivity

5. What does the low percentage of women workers in urban areas primarily indicate, according to the analysis?

a) Lack of interest among women in urban employment

b) Urban areas providing better opportunities for men

c) Restriction of women from low-paid jobs in urban settings

d) Higher educational qualifications required for urban employment
Answer: c) Restriction of women from low-paid jobs in urban settings

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *